That’s right, September 16 is National Guacamole Day! Get your guac on with this low-sodium recipe. Did you know avocado is a super food? It’s loaded with heart-healthy fats and fiber, and a bunch of vitamins and minerals. Eating them can even lower your cholesterol levels!
So feel free to celebrate with this recipe from The DASH Diet Cookbook.
Serves 8 (Makes about 4 cups)
- 6 large avocados, pitted
- 1⁄2 cup chopped Roma tomato
- 1⁄4 cup chopped white onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Juice of 3–4 limes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 jalapeño or serrano chile pepper, finely chopped, optional
When pitting the avocados, reserve two pits for later use. Scoop the flesh out, and put it in a large bowl. Mash with a fork or potato masher to the desired consistency. Add the remaining ingredients, and mix well. Store the guacamole with the two pits to help slow the oxidation, or browning, process.
No comments yet.