That’s right, September 16 is National Guacamole Day! Get your guac on with this low-sodium recipe. Did you know avocado is a super food? It’s loaded with heart-healthy fats and fiber, and a bunch of vitamins and minerals. Eating them can even lower your cholesterol levels!
So feel free to celebrate with this recipe from The DASH Diet Cookbook.
Serves 8 (Makes about 4 cups)
- 6 large avocados, pitted
- 1⁄2 cup chopped Roma tomato
- 1⁄4 cup chopped white onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Juice of 3–4 limes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 jalapeño or serrano chile pepper, finely chopped, optional
When pitting the avocados, reserve two pits for later use. Scoop the flesh out, and put it in a large bowl. Mash with a fork or potato masher to the desired consistency. Add the remaining ingredients, and mix well. Store the guacamole with the two pits to help slow the oxidation, or browning, process.