We love to love! And what better way to share your love than with a gift made from the heart…that will also support the heart, mind, and body? Essential oils are the best way to support your family’s healthcare needs while simplifying and eliminating the need for excess, chemical-laden products. And who doesn’t love a simple, homemade gift from the heart on Valentine’s Day? Whether you have littles, bigs, or just loved ones to gift, these essential oil DIYs are sure to tickle Cupid pink!
For The Littles…
They’re creamy. They’re cold. They’re like a milkshake to little eyes, except Smart Moms know that they can be filled with nutrient-rich ingredients to support growing bodies. To give it a flavor boost with essential oils, soak your fruit in water with a few drops of oils and some coconut oil or olive oil. The fatty carrier oil will help to distribute the essential oil and will also add some healthy fat to the smoothie. Then simply drain the excess and blend away!
A win-win for everyone! Use up those little bits of broken crayon and create a truly delightful gift for the littles in your life. Adding some Lavender to the mix will help them relax and find their inner calm while coloring their hearts full of joy.
- Crayons (about 40 or so – old or new)
- Silicon molds
- Essential Oil
- Preheat your oven to 240°F. Pull out a baking tray and line with foil to catch any overflow.
- Remove all paper from crayons by soaking in warm water for about 15 minutes (the paper should slip right off) or carefully cutting it off with a razor blade or knife.
- Break the crayon into pieces – about 1/2” each depending on the size of your mold. Bigger chunks work better and are less likely to blend into other colors.
- Place into silicon molds, filling until slightly over the top of the mold. They will melt down into the shape.
- Add one drop of essential oil in each compartment.
- Place in the oven for about 10-15 minutes, peeking in to see the progress. If you notice air bubbles, carefully pop with a toothpick.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 1 hour. Pop in the freezer for 15 minutes before pulling the mold carefully away from the crayons.
AROMATHERAPY PLAY DOUGH
Squeeze and mold, push and pull, design and inhale the aromatherapeutic benefits of calming play dough. Not only will the kids get hours of enjoyment out of this creation, you will get some peace and calm as they work!
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups colored water (optional)
1 cup salt
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. cream of tartar
- 5 drops high-quality essential oil (Wild Orange, Lavender, Rosemary, Lemon, or a combination)
- Glitter (optional)
- In a large saucepan, add flour, water, salt, olive oil, and cream of tartar and whisk until combined.
- Place pan over medium heat and begin stirring with a silicon spatula, scraping the sides as you go. It may take a bit, but eventually it will all of a sudden begin forming a ball.
- Immediately remove from heat as soon as it begins to form a ball.
- Turn onto parchment paper to cool.
- Once cooled, add essential oils of choice and glitter if you choose, kneading until combined.
- Separate as for gifts and store in an airtight container or plastic baggie. Keep in the refrigerator for best results.
For the beauties in your life…
TINTED AROMATHERAPY LIP BALMS
Keep those lips kissably fresh, utterly soft, and gorgeously plump by using this favorite recipe of mine as a gift. Adding mineral makeup or mica powder will tint your lip balms to the perfect shade without the harsh chemicals found in over-the-counter products. Add some essential oils for tingly-fresh effect, and voila!
- 1 oz. beeswax pastilles
- 1 oz. organic refined coconut oil (or unrefined if you like the coconutty scent)
- ½ oz. shea butter
- ½ oz. cocoa butter
- 20 drops Peppermint essential oil
- 10 drops Lavender, Rosemary, or Wild Orange essential oil
- Mineral makeup or Mica powder
- 20 empty lip balm tubes or containers
- Prepare your empty containers by lining them up close to your work station. Be sure tubes have been twisted down. (Tip – Use a test tube tray for keeping them upright and organized while you work!)
- On the stovetop, add appx. 2 inches of water to a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Turn down heat slightly to a gentle roll.
- In a wide-mouthed glass jar, add the beeswax, coconut oil, and butters. Gently place the jar into the saucepan.
- Stir every few minutes until completely melted.
- Remove glass jar from heat and let cool slightly, appx. 3 minutes.
- Add essential oils and stir.
- For tinted lip balm, add pinches of mineral makeup or mica powder until desired color is reached, working quickly as the mixture cools. You can always add it back into the hot water if it gets too hard.
- Using a pipette or a spouted measuring cup, pour the lip balm into the containers. Let cool for at least an hour.
ULTRA-MOISTURIZING LOTION BARS
Everyone loves a gift that leaves them feeling sexier, silkier, and more luxurious…and these lotion bars will do just that for the loves of your life. Customizable, you can shape or scent them to create the perfect aphrodisiac for a Valentine’s date.
- 2/3 c. beeswax pastilles
- ½ c. refined organic coconut oil
- ½ cup shea butter or cocoa butter (depending on your scent preference)
- 1 tsp. vitamin E oil or sweet almond oil
- 15 drops high-quality essential oils (Lavender-Wild Orange, Helichrysum-Grapefruit, Patchhouli-Lavender, and dōTERRA Serenity® are my favorites!)
- Silicon molds
- In a large saucepan, bring about 2 inches of water to a boil.
- In a wide-mouthed glass jar, add the beeswax, coconut oil, butter, and Vit. E/Sweet Almond oil.
- Gently place in the water bath and stir every few minutes until completely melted.
- Carefully remove from heat and let cool slightly, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add essential oils and stir gently.
- Pour into silicon mold and let cool for at least 2 hours. Pop in the fridge for 15 minutes before gently pulling away the molds.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and store in an airtight container.
- To use, simply rub into your skin. (Note: Remember that citrus oils are photosensitive and you should avoid direct sunlight for at least 24 hours after contact.)
Solid perfumes are an amazingly simple and easy way to share the aromatherapeutic power of essential oils and have an intoxicating fragrance that lasts all day…and all night! They work well on the go, and can be used to perk up any mood!
- 2 Tbsp. beeswax pastilles
- 2 Tbsp. fractionated coconut oil or sweet almond oil
- 20 drops high-quality essential oil (Add 4-5 base notes, 8-10 middle notes, and 5-8 top notes)
Base Notes: Patchouli, Cedarwood, Frankincense, Hawaiian Sandlewood, Vetiver, or Vanilla
Middle Notes: Lavender, Roman Chamomile, Ylang Ylang, Geranium, Rose, Juniper Berry
Top Note: Bergamot, Petitgrain, Lime, Wild Orange, Grapefruit, Lemongrass, Lemon
- In a large saucepan, bring about 2 inches of water to boil.
- In a wide-mouthed glass jar, add the besswax pastilles and coconut/almond oil, and gently place jar into water bath.
- Stir gently every minute or so until combined.
- Let cool slightly, about 3 minutes or so.
- Add essential oils and stir to combine. (You can test the scent ahead of time by combining the fragrances on heavy cardstock and gently inhaling to see if it pleases your nose. You can customize the scent to your liking by adjusting the quantity of essential oils or eliminating the top or base note.)
- Carefully pour the mixture into your containers (I recommend a stainless steel tin or, for a romantic touch, use an empty locket necklace.)
ONGUARD SWEET & SALTY POPCORN
Guaranteed to be addictive, this simple and delicious creation adds a cinnamon, orange and clove flavor to the popcorn, while keeping it healthy.
- 1 cup organic popcorn kernels
- ¼ cup unrefined coconut oil
- ¼ cup grade B maple syrup
- 4-5 drops Cinnamon Bark, or Wild Orange Essential Oil
- Ground cinnamon to taste
- Sea salt to taste
Air pop the popcorn and place in a large mixing bowl. Melt the coconut oil in a saucepan. Remove from heat and stir in the maple syrup and essential oils. Pour maple syrup mixture over the popcorn and mix well. Sprinkle with ground cinnamon and a touch of salt. Mix thoroughly and enjoy.
THE ULTIMATE GIFT FOR YOUR LOVED ONES…
Looking for that perfect gift that will not only impress but will transform the health of the recipient? Look no further that my 6th and latest book – The Smart Mom’s Guide to Essential Oils – available now for preorder on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, or Target. Not only will you receive a compendium of immediately-usable information, but it will also help you to transform and revolutionize the healthcare of your family. Give the gift of health, wellness, and vitality to your loved ones this Valentine’s Day, and they can receive 15 INCREDIBLE BONUSES valued at over $100! For more information, click here:
Loving yourself is just as important as loving those around you. This Valentine’s Day, give the gift of essential oils and begin your journey with me. Please don’t hesitate to reach out and let me share my love of high-quality essential oils with you and those you love.