We’ve all been there – stuck in an airport, surviving in a long checkout line, entertaining kiddos at a restaurant, or just plain waaaaaaiting. With kids, it seems like the wait is a thousand times longer than it actually is and guaranteed Murphy’s Law will take effect at some point, making things go wrong that wouldn’t normally happen to those picturesque moms in the magazines. But let’s get real…we are SMART Moms and pretty pictures are not a part of our lives. We live in a virtual whirlwind of struggle, stress, success, and repeat in our little bubbles of the world. That also means that we are prepared for anything that life can throw our way, from black eyes to bug bites and gum stuck everywhere to lovely lice pets infested in our littles heads. Sigh. It’s exhausting just thinking about it. That’s where essential oils come in, like little bottles of amazingness flying little superhero capes behind them. Let me introduce you to your Smart Mom On-the-Go Kit so you can complete your utility belt against life’s best attacks.
In case you haven’t been introduced to this gem, I highly recommend getting yourself a dōTERRA Keychain immediately. It holds eight 5/8 drams for essential oils in a zippered case complete with carabiner keychain that can attach and travel with you wherever you go. In The Smart Mom’s Guide to Essential Oils, I share a list of 25 must-have essential oils for every family, and which ones you choose to carry with you and how you dilute them depend on your kiddos and their needs. Here is a list of suggested oils to take with you and why:
– Fractionated Coconut Oil – to unglue life’s sticky situations, tame flyaways, solve make-up disasters, and dilute any full-strength oils in your kit, among a thousand other reasons
– Lavender – calming the beast, promoting restful sleep, supporting skin discomfort, taming the results of environmental threats, relieving stress from situations or from falls/bumps/accidents
– Lemon – adding a splash of zest to your water, unsticking gum or stickers adorning undesirable places, removing permanent marker from tables, freshening the air, removing unwanted odors
– Peppermint – temple massages to relieve mama tension, quick whiffs to awaken the senses, freshening breath in a second, spot treatment for moments of hormonal heat, keeps bugs away
– dōTERRA On Guard® Protective Blend – instant protection from environmental threats, hand-cleaning in a pinch, gargle for a numbing sensation on throats
– Melaleuca (Tea Tree) – cleanses and protects against threats, repels head lice, spot treatments for facial blemishes or injured skin, can relieve discoloration of skin from bumps
– Frankincense – helps to promote health in a variety of systems of the body, helps focus energy, massage into hands or feet for a warming sensation during cold weather, go-to oil for most needs
– dōTERRA Serenity® Restful Blend – Promotes calm and helps lessen feelings of anxiety, especially for those who need to focus and get a job done; helps mamas stay calm during high-stress days; helps kiddos have a restful sleep (even in the car!)
– dōTERRA InTune® Focus Blend – just a dab will help to focus and direct energy, works great for high-energy kiddos who need a break from themselves
– Cardamom – great for respiratory distress or kiddos affected by environmental and seasonal threats, opens airways and promotes clear breathing, also try dōTERRA Breathe® Respiratory Blend
It never hurts to have a few rollerball remedies tucked away in your purse for those common situations specific to your little ones. They are easy to store, travel with, and supply, and having them at-the-ready can help you to eliminate a number of stressful situations when you are out and about.
For seasonal discomfort from environmental threats, I recommend a Lavender-Lemon-Peppermint or Spearmint mixture diluted with your choice of carrier oil to warn off the itch and discomfort; some of my favorite kiddos call this one “Tickly Nose.” Just a dab behind the ears or on the bottoms of their feet with help to keep them going strong in the outdoors. The mint-lavender combo will also soothe bug bites and help to keep insects away. (Just be careful using Peppermint with kids under the age of 6; swap for Spearmint.)
Another great one to have is a simple diluted rollerball of Lavender. It helps to calm the crazy in stressed kiddos, eases them into a restful slumber, and helps chill out mamas on the edge. It is also great to calm little ones if they happen to fall or get hurt. A dab behind the ears, on the bottoms of the feet, or even near a hurt area will help to soothe and relax frazzled nerves.
The last one to never leave home without is your On Guard® Protective Blend Rollerball or spray. It can both support immune systems that have been exposed to environmental and/or seasonal threats and eliminate the yuck from questionable areas that you may be forced to inhabit. For example, we have all witnessed someone sneezing right in our kiddos’ face or on their toys, clothes, etc. On Guard to the rescue! What about those moments when you are forced to use a shady gas station bathroom? On Guard spray the toilet seat and wipe it down before using it, and if the hand-washing situation looks sketchy, use the OG as a hand cleaner as well. And then dab some of the OG Rollerball on the bottoms of their feet as soon as you have a chance!
This may seem like a crazy item to have in this list, but you cannot go wrong with dōTERRA Lip Balms. Not only are there three different scents that will invigorate your senses, but they also are great in a pinch when you are stuck without your trusty oils or when you have someone who is resistant to use the oils. There are some kids who just don’t like the sensation of oils or the powerful aroma, even when diluted, but show them a tube of lip balm and they go bananas. The formula within dōTERRA’s blends can also be used for moisturizing in a pinch, for smoothing down flyaway hairs, for soothing insect bites, for easing the sting of paper cuts, or even for diluting some of your neat keychain oils. Trust me. These little beauties are a lifesaver! Oh, and they are super-nourishing for your lips as well!
No Smart Mom goes anywhere without packing a few snacks in her bag for when the monsters rear their hungry heads. Essential oils can be used for cooking and baking, and make powerful flavor additions to normal recipes. You can amp up your favorite healthy snacks for a new sensation in your household. Try adding a drop or two of Wild Orange essential oil to craisins for a flavor boost, adding a bit of Lemon or Grapefruit in with a fruit-infused water, sprinkling some On Guard® Protective Blend in some water and soaking apple slices for an immune-supporting afternoon nosh, and you will not believe what the addition of Lemon and Lavender will do to normal shortbread or sugar cookies. Give it a try! And here is a great recipe for all-natural Power Bites spiked with some Wild Orange essential oil. Your kids will love these and they will fill up their tummies quickly!
ALL-NATURAL POWER BITES
- 1 cup pitted dates, packed
- ¼ cup organic refined coconut oil
- ¼ cup nut butter (peanut, almond, cashew, or even sunflower)
- ¼ cup raw honey
- 1 ¼ cup oats
- ¼ cup flax seeds or chia seeds
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds or nuts
- 1 cup diced dried fruit (apricots, craisins, cherries, berries, etc.)
- 3 drops dōTERRA Wild Orange essential oil
- Pinch of kosher salt or sea salt
1) In a food processor, pulse the dates until they form a dough. Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
2) Add the coconut oil, nut butter, and honey and smush together with a silicone spatula.
3) Add the oats, seeds, nuts, and dried fruit. Mix with a spatula or go for it and squish-mix with your hands (kids love to help with this part!).
4) Add the Wild Orange essential oil and continue to mix until evenly combined.
5) Line an 8×8 pan with parchment or plastic wrap. Turn the mixture into the pan and press it down with the back of your spatula. Then, using the bottom of a flat glass, press the mixture firmly into the pan until it is an even layer and has filled all of the corners and edges.
6) Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
7) Remove from refrigerator and flip the brick out of the pan onto a cutting board. Cut into 1” bite-sized squares and keep in a sealed container. Perfect for breakfast, a lunch side, or an any-time snack!
As always, the use of essential oils with children depends on the age of your child, their personal systems, and any medications or health issues that they may have. I always recommend talking with a trusted healthcare provider before using essential oils with your family and always be sure to dilute the oils heavily when using them with younger children. Teens need less of a dilution, but it still depends on each person’s individual chemistry and tolerance for the oils. When in doubt, start small with a patch test or begin by diffusing the oils to see how they affect the members of your family. Then you can branch out to different ways of using dōTERRA essential oils.
If you know you are ready to get started with dōTERRA essential oils, you can sign up with me immediately here.