During my entire twenties and early thirties, I blew through my life. Every day felt like a blur. I was so afraid of failing my family and co-workers, I slowly drove myself into the ground.
I was chronically fatigued, 35-pounds overweight, constantly cranky, and oftentimes felt overextended and overwhelmed. Caffeine became the key to surviving each day.
My periods were irregular. My PMS was out of control (trust me, you’d run the other way when you saw me coming if it was that time of the month). I was sad, anxious, and overwhelmed. I felt like I had lost control of my body and felt completely alone and without hope to make the changes I needed to get myself back.
After running tests, it was obvious that my hormones were significantly imbalanced and that I needed help to get back to my former, energized self.
Can you relate? Have you ever looked in the mirror and wondered how you ever got to this point? Where did your energized, sexy self go, and where did this other woman come from?
You are not resigned to feeling this way for the rest of your life. Especially as you approach your mid-30’s, you may feel devastated by the changes taking place in your body. But this is not the end. You don’t have to suffer in silence any longer. There are REAL, natural solutions you can implement to restore balance to your body and reclaim the energy and abundance you thought was gone for good.
After I discovered the hormones that were driving my issues, I dove headfirst into figuring out the foods, supplements, essential oils, and lifestyle changes that would have the most profound impact to restore what was totally out of whack.
Let’s zero in and discuss what hormonal imbalance looks like, and some reasons you may find yourself in an unbalanced state. Then we’ll examine simple, natural ways to keep your body in a happy balance….
What Is Hormonal Imbalance?
In a nutshell, hormonal balance is whenever any of your hormones are not at the right levels to support your body’s natural functions throughout your life.
Read that again.
Your hormones. Your body’s functions.
This means that hormonal levels will not be the same for every woman, and each individual’s balance will be unique. Hormonal levels also fluctuate throughout the years as a woman’s body matures, so what you needed in your twenties will not be what you need in your thirties, forties, fifties, and beyond. In fact, depending on the level of stress in your current state of life as well as your nutrition and sleep patterns, your needs could change from month to month, even week to week if you are still menstruating!
There are general guidelines for what you should look out for, and not all doctors or labs will take into account all the variables when they prescribe what is “normal” for you.
While a hard-and-fast number would be easier, I encourage you to take this variability as enlightening and empowering news. Your lab results don’t define you. When you learn to listen to your body and support it with the self-care that it needs, it will serve you well so you can be the best self you want to be for the world.
I know that when I was suffering from specific hormone imbalances, I was embarrassed and felt like I was alone. I didn’t want to discuss my weight gain or period problems with anyone. And, sadly, when I did get up enough guts to share with my mom and grandmother, I learned that they suffered from the same issues. And they told me it was normal.
They suffered as I did…silently, embarrassed, and alone…so I grew up thinking that it was just our normal and that all women suffered like this as well. It wasn’t until I became a scientist and dove into women’s health research, experiencing my own silent health crisis that I realized it WASN’T NORMAL and that I didn’t have to SUFFER!
And neither do you!
What Does Hormone Imbalance Look Like?
Now it gets a bit tricky because what it looks like for you might not be what it looks like for someone else. But here are some heavy-hitters:
- Weight gain
- Mood swings
- Irregular periods
- Anxiety or depression
- Hot flashes
- Brain fog
- Severe PMS
- Low libido
- Wrinkles, acne, or other skin issues
- And so many more…
But what we are trying to avoid is you getting to the point where you have a ton of symptoms. You want to support your body ahead of time to keep it well-cared-for so that when stress threatens to disrupt your inner balance, you have a support system in place to keep it strong.
Now, if you already have some of these issues, it’s okay! I’ll give you some tools you can use to attack these problems at the root and restore balance to your body.
Natural Ways to Support Hormone Balance
Whether you are facing any of the issues I outlined above or you are just trying to ward off a potential hormonal disaster, here are some ways to love your body into balance:
1 – De-Stress with Self-Care
When I started the process of intentionally healing my hormones to rediscover my vitality, I realized that I needed to change my lifestyle and my mindset if I wanted to feel like my old self again. I needed to do the thing I was afraid to do. I needed to change my stress-inducing habits and address the root cause.
That meant that as a part of addressing my “hormone issues” (things we identify like irregular periods, bloating, hot flashes, PMS, inexplicable weight gain, depression, and more), I needed to also address my stressaholic ways of operating each day.
And here’s why: When your brain perceives a threat in the form of endless to-do lists and overwhelming obligations, it sends chemical messages to your body in preparation for an attack. Your body’s natural response to this is to slow down “nonessential” processes (like thyroid hormone production and your reproductive system), contributing to imbalances in these areas.
If you are constantly stressed, the unending stimulation of your stress-response system can completely throw off estrogen and progesterone levels leading to irregular periods, bloating, stubborn belly fat, PMS, and even migraines and mood swings.
You have permission to dream bigger about your life than you ever have before. Healing your hormones means healing your mind, too. Take the time to envision what you want from your life, and take the steps to make that vision a reality.
Maybe that’s daily time to journal, meditate, pray, or do deep breathing.
Maybe that’s a daily exercise in whatever form you enjoy.
Maybe that’s choosing nutritious whole foods and supplements that will fuel your body and not work against all of your progress.
Whatever self-care looks like for you, it needs to happen EVERY. DAY.
Yes, you read that right.
Do it because your health depends on it. You deserve it!
2 – Utilize Powerful Essential Oils
Since essential oils instantly enter your bloodstream, they are powerful hormone supporters to keep your body in balance. Whether you use oils to calm your stress, soothe pesky symptoms, or support your underlying hormone imbalance, there are so many powerful ways to put these little bottles to use!
Click here to learn my top 5 essential oils (and some fantastic blends) for hormone balance.
For now, here’s one of my FAVORITE blends for hormone balance, mood support, stress relief, empowerment…basically whatever I need. I wear this blend every single day so I can speak to its power firsthand!
Superwoman Rollerball Blend
12 drops Clary Sage essential oil
10 drops Lavender essential oil
5 drops Geranium essential oil
5 drops Cedarwood essential oil
4 drops Ylang Ylang essential oil
Place the essential oils in a 10 mL rollerball bottle and then top off with your carrier oil of choice. I start each morning with this blend by applying it on my wrists, ankles, and behind my ears. I also recommend applying the roller bottle blend over your palms and breathing it in as you rock your super woman stance.
3 – Show Your Liver Some Love
Detoxing your hormones is a crucial step to hormone healing. Your liver serves as the filtration system to cycle out the excess hormones and toxins that are circulating in your body.
Estrogen dominance is an issue almost ALL women in perimenopause and menopause are facing right now. When your estrogen levels remain disproportionate to your progesterone, it is a recipe for hormone disaster that is behind all the symptoms we’ve been discussing so far. You can even be dealing with estrogen dominance if your labs show LOW estrogen because it’s all about the balance.
If your liver becomes clogged up and sluggish, it’s a recipe for hormone disaster because it won’t cycle out the excess estrogen that your body needs to get rid of. That’s why it is so important to show your liver some love with quality self-care, powerful essential oils, nutritious food choices, and more.
4 – Eat for Your Hormones
Want to know another enemy of hormone balance? Sugar. This addictive substance causes spikes and dips in insulin levels that can leave you reaching for more and more, as well as throwing the rest of your body into chaos.
The best way to ward off the sugar-driven roller coaster is to support your body with plenty of protein and healthy fats. These substances will help you feel full longer, without causing the crash that comes after consuming too many carbs. Fats also serve as the building blocks of your hormones. Your body can’t make what you need when you don’t supply it with the necessary parts, so making sure you have enough healthy fat in your diet is a sure way to keep your body functioning properly!
Some of my favorite ways to get these nutrients are with my green breakfast smoothies. Check out some inspiration here to get your morning started in a healthy way!
5 – Balance Your Hormones with Key Supplements
There is a LONG list of supplements that can support your body’s hormone health, and I’ve tried just about all of them. You can check out my Top 11 Supplements for Hormone Health here, but if you’re looking for a TON of hormone-supporting power in one convenient place, you’re not going to want to miss Essentially Whole® Hormone Balance.
Hormone Balance has been THE magic that I have been looking for to keep my body supported on a daily basis. I went from a dozen or more individual bottles of supplements with all of my must-haves to just ONE bottle that I use.
I have talked about these before in my blog and podcast, but Hormone Balance has all of these rockstar heavy-hitters in one place to nurture your feminine system from the inside out! I know this is a long list, but girl, buckle your seatbelt, because you’ve gotta have them all for the wildlife ride you’re on!
- Black Cohosh (Actaea racemosa) Extract is your lady part’s best friend, as it keeps your parts relaxed and fresh for intimacy while alleviating annoying symptoms like hot flashes and night sweats, which is particularly helpful as you approach menopause. It supports a natural balance of luteinizing hormone as well as regulating mood, warding off PMS, and easing pain and cramping during your period.
- Chaste Tree (Vitex agnus castus) Extract, also known as Chasteberry, tops the list of amazing adaptogenic herbs for regulating feminine hormones in an individualistic way. Specifically, it encourages your body to produce progesterone while supporting optimal communication between your body’s hormonal systems via neurotransmitting pathways. Combining it with Black Cohosh amps up its support for emotional issues and those symptoms associated with peri- and post-menopausal hormones.
- DIM (Diindolylmethane) comes from the Brassica family of veggies like cabbage and broccoli and helps to maintain healthy estrogen metabolization and hormonal levels while warding off inflammation and keeping women’s cancer risks at bay. It also supports healthy estrogen and testosterone production while supporting your adrenals and metabolism. No one wants to eat pounds of broccoli to get these benefits, so this supplement always tops my list for preventative health and nixing any of those PMS symptoms. For women of any age or stage, this is a must-have in your healthcare line-up. This supplement goes a step further by pairing it with Broccoli Seed Extract and Chrysin to support healthy hormonal conversion.
- Calcium and Calcium D-Glucarate are necessities for supporting your bone health and muscular support, but they also work to support the liver in its active role of detoxification. When your hormonal levels go overboard, it is the liver’s job to filter out the excess, so loving that liver plays a vital role in keeping your body balanced!
- Magnesium (Di-Magnesium Malate) must be present in order to allow our bodies to recover from stress and to keep all of our systems functioning. Cramps, tension, pain, and headaches are often associated with low levels of magnesium. It is a vital nutrient for a myriad body functions, but it also supports our mood, libido, and fertility. While many of us suffer deficiencies, few realize the power that lies within this one nutrient to support every system of your body while protecting you from the onslaught of toxins and free radicals. Essentially Whole® Hormone Balance uses a chelated formulation of both calcium and magnesium to ensure increased bioavailability for maximum benefit and to prevent unnecessary digestive distress which some can experience with magnesium supplementation!
- B-Complex Vitamins, specifically B-12, B-6, and Folate (B-9) help to manage our stress levels naturally while aiding healthy cell function. Supporting cardiovascular health also falls into the supportive features of B-vitamins, making them essential for everybody. Folate is essential for the production of DNA and cellular health but is the bioavailable natural form of the vitamin unlike the synthesized version known as folic acid.
- Trans Resveratrol and Green Tea Extract are powerful antioxidants with anti-inflammatory properties to support your body’s health and balance. They can also reduce the discomfort of PMS and cramping during your period.
Ready to Restore and Support Your Hormones?
It’s time for you to feel what your actual normal feels like! I have been taking this amazing powerhouse supplement for months now, and am amazed at what it has done for me. If you want to get your juices flowing in all the right ways without the negativity and “hormonal” blaming and shaming, I urge you to feel empowered enough to order Hormone Balance for your body.
Taking Hormone Balance along with taking the necessary steps to manage your stress and show your body the love it deserves is a great way to reclaim your power.